I love the cute-style Arctic Animals graphics, and use them often. But when we are teaching about the scientific aspects of the animals, such as the habitat, physical characteristics and interaction with the environment, it is important to use more realistic graphics. This Arctic Animals unit has had a lot of good feedback. It is designed for preschool, pre-K and Kindergarten.
Here are some pages ...
And here's what's in it ...
• Full page color posters, (15) Arctic animals included are : Arctic wolf, caribou, musk ox, Polar bear, walrus, Arctic fox, tern, snowy owl, puffin, beluga whale, orca whale, harp seal, narwhal, Dall sheep, Arctic hare .
• A “finish the picture” page for each animal in b/w. Discuss the page, read the caption. Children add other things to the picture, suggested by the caption or in the discussion. They can also dictate words for the teacher to write (or try themselves).
• Flashcards (4 to a page) for each animal – make games such as match the pairs, concentration/memory, hiding and finding etc. Use for recognition and vocabulary extension.
• Fact cards (2 to a page) 1 for each animal. These cards have real photos of the animal, and 3 to 4 interesting facts about them. Can be made into booklets with staples or a ring through holes punched in one corner.
• A picture/written word strip for each animal (word wall)
• Emergent reader – “Who Lives in the Arctic?” (Color photos)
• Emergent reader – “Who Lives in the Arctic” (B/w – children can color pictures.
• Game – categorize Arctic Animals/not arctic animals. This can be a center, or individual cut and paste b/w.
• Game – Find 3 animals each that go in the water/air/land . This can be a center, or individual cut and paste. b/w.
• Anchor chart and sorting game – Carnivores/Herbivores.
• Set of large animal cut-outs (labeled). Use for small group teaching, recognition and vocabulary; bulletin board; room display etc. Tape a craft stick to make a puppet.
In this preschool "draw and color" style booklet, the graphic style is semi-realistic.
If we are going to go TOTALLY cute, here's a freebie - a set of Arctic Animals large manipulatives for counting, 0-20.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Hello, I'm Susan. My goal at KidSparkz is to offer instantly downloadable, free and low cost early childhood printables and activity packs to busy teachers and parents.
Read more ...
All About Me
Back to School
Chinese Lunar New Year
Cinco de Mayo
4th of July
M L King