WINTER Task Cards Small Group Activities for Beginners - Following Directions
This is a collection of task cards, with manipulatives, for early learners, with a Winter theme. Most of the activities are for use by a small group with a teacher leader. They work well for non-readers and pre-readers. These cards introduce children to the concept of following written directions, and in beginning to use task cards.
Click on the collage photo and hover over it for a larger view of the pages.
- SHAPES task cards with a set of shapes manipulatives. The manipulatives are spread out in front of a small group. Child chooses card (or teacher gives a card) – child “reads” card and finds the shape described on the card. There are 2 each of 8 shapes.
- COLORS task cards, and a set of 18 colorful snowmen manipulatives (9 colors)
- NUMBERS task cards, plus 2 sets of penguins manipulatives – penguins numbered from 0-10, and sets of penguins standing on the ice 0-10. Task cards can be used with either set of penguins, or both of them together.
- LETTERS task cards, plus a set of cups of hot chocolate manipulatives, each with an upper case letter of the alphabet. Spread the cups out in front of group. Child chooses a task card, or is given one by the teacher, and finds the letter described on the card.
- FIND the PICTURE task cards. Large pictures of “things to do in the snow” are taped to the wall around the room. Child finds the picture that matches his/her task card, then brings the task card back to the teacher to be re-used.
- DRESS the SNOWMAN task cards. Use with individual children or as a center. Child chooses card – child “reads” card and follows the directions, adding items to the snowman mat. There are 4 cards with one direction, 4 with 2 directions, and 4 with 3 directions.